Notch Civic Involvement:
Giving Back to Those Around Us
An established leader in process and utility piping solutions, Notch Mechanical is a family business that recognizes the importance of the community we work in. It has helped us succeed and grow since our founding in 1972, and because of that we strive to give back to the community as much as possible through our regular civic involvement.
Annual Notch Pipe Welding Challenge
Since 1999, Notch has organized and sponsored the region’s premier competition for high school welding students from across New England. Each competitor spends several months practicing and then, in May, performs a 6″ open-root pipe weld using the SMAW (stick) process. The completed weld coupons are judged in accordance with ASME Section IX requirements. The “Top Notch Welder” receives a $500 cash prize and the winning school receives a $500 certificate for welding supplies.
- Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School
- Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School
- Bristol Plymouth Regional Technical High School
- Chicopee Comprehensive High School
- Franklin County Technical High School
- Gateway Regional High School
- Howell Cheney Technical High School
- McCann Technical School
- Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School
- Shawsheen Valley Technical High School
- Taconic High School
- Worcester Technical High School
2017 Weld Challenge Sponsors
Sponsor & Event Organizer
- Notch Mechanical Constructors
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. Massachusetts Chapter
- B.E. Crowley, Inc.
- Cap & Hitch of New England
- Chicopee Tire & Auto Service
- City Machine
- Collins Pipe & Supply
- F.W. Webb
- Gould Construction Institute
- Hadley Printing
- Home Depot
- Independent Pipe and Supply Corp.
- International Valve & Instrument Corp.
- ITW Welding North America
- Ivey Industries Inc.
- Mackey Mechanical Insulation
- Maine Oxy
- Marcotte Ford
- Peterson Steel Corporation
- Sullivan Metals Co.
- Swiss Uniform
- Tierney & Dalton Associates, Inc.
- T.P. Daley Insurance Company
- United Rentals
- Welder Repair & Rental Service, Inc.
Weld Challenge Poster PDF
Volunteer Service Days
Notch offers every employee one paid day of leave per year to volunteer in the community. The efforts of our employees are spread throughout the region and range from the Red Cross blood bank to the church or school next door.